Tenant's frequently asked questions

How do I view a property I have seen on your website?

You can call us on 01954 719585 or email us at enquiries@cantablettings.co.uk and we will arrange a property viewing for you.

What is the difference between a furnished and unfurnished property?

Typically an unfurnished property will have carpets, curtains and perhaps white goods.

‘Furnished’ properties vary, from a basic minimum of fixtures and fittings, carpets and curtains, living room furniture and beds.

At the other end of the spectrum, a ‘furnished’ property can include everything you expect to find in a home, excluding personal belongings.

How soon can I move in?

Once you have reserved the property with a holding deposit, we shall take up the necessary references. This process can take up to 14 days (although sometimes this can be shorter).

How do I pay the rent?

This is paid per calendar month by Standing Order from your bank to the Letting Agent.

How much is the deposit?

Typically a dilapidations (repairs required during or at the end of a tenancy) deposit is equal to 1.5 times the monthly rent.

Who pays for the utilities?

It is your responsibility to pay for the Utilities. We shall take meter readings and send these to the existing utility companies prior to your arrival and let them know you are moving into the property. However, it is your responsibility to set up an account in your name on arrival at the property. The Utility provider may be changed by you once you haved moved in. We shall then take final meter readings at the end of the tenancy.

How can I be assured that the property is safe?

Every property needs to hold a current Gas Safety Certificate. We check that there is a Certificate for every property we market.

Can I have pets at the property?

Allowing pets at the property is at the Landlord’s discretion.

Who pays for repairs to the property?

It is the responsibility of the Landlord for repairs to the property and any contents that were included at the property at the time of letting, such as washing machines, ovens and fridges.

Any breakages or damage that is the fault of yourself will need to be paid for by you. Please report any breakages or damage to the property as soon as possible.

Can another person live with me at the property?

No. All persons at the property need to be named on the Assured Shorthold Agreement (AST). Failure to do so puts you, as the tenant, in breach of contract.